Friday, July 5, 2013

a health update

So part of the fun of being in detox is that I had my bloods done.  I've never quite seen a set of results as comprehensive as what my psychiatrist gave me today but yowza... there's a lot and most of it just doesn't make any sense to me.  But then again I'm not a doctor.  

The main things that I had to take away from it is that my liver functions are elevated (probably putting it politely) - they're really frigging high.  But as I was told that's to be expected considering how long I have been drinking for.  

Aka:
"GGT can be used to screen for chronic alcohol abuse (it will be elevated in about 75% of chronic drinkers). Sometimes it may be used to monitor for alcohol use and/or abuse in people who are receiving treatment for alcoholism or alcoholic hepatitis
."

In a piece of good news I have been told that it should be back to normal in about 3 months.  It just means that I have to get my blood tests done every month to track the progress (oh joy! - I don't like needles).  So I guess I have been very lucky that I didn't do any permanent damage to myself over my years of drinking.  I guess when you are drinking that's really something that you stop and think about...

The other thing that my blood tests showed is that I have low vitamin D levels.  I went to the pharmacy yesterday to get a supplement and was told I should take one a day unless my doctor had told me differently.  I told her I was told to take it three times a day "oh that is low!"  Yep that's me... ;)


1 comment:

  1. The liver is an amazing organ and it self repairs very quickly. My levels were off the charts for a long long time. They're coming back down nicely now. I'm overdue a blood test but I haven't got veins that work any more, so it's a reluctant trip!!

    ReplyDelete