Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Food Post - Peanut Butter Pie

I think I'm becoming obsessed with food... I really do.

So anyways. We had dinner at a friends earlier this week, and I decided to bring dessert. So I went through my magazine & recipe collection and noticed a recipe for Peanut Butter Pie. Larry loves Peanut Butter so I though a-ha I'll give this a go as yes well you know he likes Peanut Butter... (and everyone else seems to as well).

Here's the end result:


Recipe:
Peanut Butter Pie
Serves 16

180g Digestive Biscuits
90g unsalted butter
3 tsp caster sugar

Filling
1 cup (250ml) pure (thin) cream
1/2 cup (75g) caster sugar
320g cream cheese, chopped, at room tempature
375g crunchy salt-free peanut butter

Topping
150ml thickened cream
150g dark couverture chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
20g unsalted butter

Preheat fan-forced oven to 160 (180 for a conventional oven)
Process biscuits in a food processor until crumbled. Add melted butter and sugar. Pulse to combine. Then press into the base of a 22cm springform cake pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

For the filling, place the cream and sugar in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Blend the cream cheese and peanut butter until combined. Add the cream mixture and pulse to combine, then spoon filling on top of pie crust and leave to cool.

For the topping, bring the cream to just below boiling point in a saucepan over high heat, then remove the pan from the heat. Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl, then pour over the hot cream. Leave for 3 minutes without touching. Gently move the dish around to melt the chocolate and butter into the cream. Pour the topping over the pie, then chill in the fridge, uncovered, for 4 hours or until set.

This is originally from the book maggie's kitchen and it then appeared in Delicious (small story about this to follow).

So a couple of things
This is so bloody rich - very, very tasty though!
I burnt the base :( - I had it in the enough to long so there wasn't really much of a base with the actual pie... live & learn I suppose.

So the funny little story - I got a kick out of this... when I was making the pie on Tuesday night - I was posting photos to twitter, as well it's not unlike me to overshare the intimate details of my life really... one of my followers is a photographer for penguin books who published Maggie's Kitchen and delicious reused the images. So he recognised his own photo :) I just thought that was kind of cool in a small world kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment