Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Some Dreams Come True

Larry and I have been trying to find a way to get me to the US since we met.  So for nearly 8 years I have been blocked from entering on the sheer basis that we're a same-sex couple.  Now we have tried to find ways around it (me trying to find work in the US, studying in the US etc...).

It's been hard.  Really hard.  Larry loves his country and he wants to go home.  Like a lot of people who are part of a bi-national couple he has has had to choose between the country he loves and his family.  Up until now, he's chosen me.  I would and will go to the end of the Earth for this man - he has for me, so it's the least I can do for him.

So at roughly 2:30am this morning when Olivia decided to climb up into bed with us.  I checked my email and there was an email from the HRC saying that Section 3 of DOMA had been ruled unconstitutional.  I slapped Larry on the rump (he wasn't particularly impressed with that to be honest) to tell him.  We can go to the US finally - after 8 years of trying, hoping and even to the point of almost giving up.

Although there is one minor glitch - we have to get married for real this time...  We had a commitment ceremony in 2008 but I'm not sure if that would be counted.  We can prove our relationship though.  May mean a quickie wedding in New Zealand though.

I'm not sure if the people who have fought for this will see this but honestly from the bottom of my heart thank you so much - this means so much to me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment