Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kitchen shenanigans or just plain insanity



So my friend Elli made Nigella's donut french toast. The idea being that the french toast was based on a powered donut... Which got me to thinking - what if you made french toast out of donuts. So I set myself a mission to make french toast using donuts. Originally I thought Nigella would be proud. Now in hindsight I'd think Elvis would be proud...

Elli's effort and how the damn thing is actually meant to look - http://www.flickr.com/photos/1773/4765975036

Donut French Toast

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

60ml full-fat milk


4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
 - this is obviously where I chose to use Cinnamon Donuts

25g butter, plus a drop of flavourless oil for frying


50g caster sugar


Serving Size : Serves 2

METHOD

1.Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl.








2.Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.









Problem 1 - I soaked the donuts for a little two long and one split (you'll see in the next photo)

3.Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.










4.Put the sugar on a plate and then dip the cooked bread in it until coated like a sugared doughnut








These actually taste better than you'd think... they are incredibly sweet though. Disgustingly sweet. Would I make them again? No. Was it fun? Yes. I have any number of giggles about this over the past couple of days. Just the idea and then the execution. It's fun to play with food every now & then ;)




2 comments:

  1. I'd nom on them, sweet is good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were tasty
    just more than one half gets quite sickening

    ReplyDelete