Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Parenting #101 – a diversion into the “now”

Being a parent surprises me - constantly. Mostly for the depth of love that I feel for Louise and Olivia. I wanted to share this because I think for my development as a parent – it felt pretty significant.

The girls had their 6 months vaccinations today (2 months late – but that was my fault but as they’re prem it’s not that bad!). Now this is normally a bit of an ordeal anyway as the girls really don’t know the concept of “pain”. And here I am willingly leading them into an arena where they are going to be hurt. Which as a parent sucks! You are meant to protect them and I can understand the rationale that you need to cause them some pain to protect them.

So anyway. The girls are getting their shots done. I cried! With both of them – there was just so much I wanted to do to help, to take their pain away and I just couldn’t do it. All I could do was hold them and tell them it was going to be ok.

My poor little angels :(

And I am basically just a big softy! I realised that today too.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Michael! :(

    Yes, it is very hard to watch someone you know and love in pain, and being unable to do anything to stop it, save comforting them.

    Mum reckons that my earliest memory is receiving immunization shots at the Caulfield Town Hall. I have a distinct memory of crying loudly, not so much because of the pain, but more because the experience was strange and uncomfortable. I remember looking out the window and seeing a green and gold W class tram and being distracted by it, then remembering I was crying, and resuming my upset. Mum thinks I was about 2 or 3 at the time.

    ReplyDelete