Thursday, June 4, 2009

Getting a coffee hit

It's quite rare for me to consider and plan an image. And I guess this does tie into my attempts to be more of an aristic photographer rather than just seeing something and snapping it.

So anyway a flickr friend yesterday posted a shot of his starbucks coffee and referred to it "liquid crack." I'll save the starbucks rant for a different time (but seriously America - STARBUCKS IS SH1T!!!!) so based on the addictive nature of caffeine and corporate america, I came up with the rough idea for this image. The only regret I really have about it is the lighting. The lighting should be better but the image still works.


I was actually a bit nervous about uploading it as it's a tough image to deal with in some respects.

The reactions have been quite interesting. The main problem is that as my flickr is linked to my facebook - a few people at work have seen me snorting espresso.

One of my managers actually finds it disturbing. The other manager said that I need to keep in mind that I am supposed to becoming a responsible parent (that one was a bit what the?).

Now I'm not usually in the habit of having to explain myself at work in terms of my 'art' - but I don't think the people at work see me as an artist. They see me as a photographer. The difference being that I take good photos rather than create good images. This falls into the create image camp.

I stand by my image and I stand by my artistic expression :)
I like this - it's not perfect - but it works as an image
it's funny and it's a statement on a few levels

Have a good weekend
Peace
Michael

1 comment:

  1. I LOL'd IRL when I saw this. Great work.

    I've been coming up against this a few times over the past few years. Posting photos of pills. Posting photos of myself naked. Posting photos of street art, which I got arrested for. Swearing in Tweets and Blog posts.

    To me, it's about being true to myself. Yes, it may cost me jobs, but really, if an environment wants to mould me, instead of letting me 'be' who I am, I don't want to be there.

    I see it as a great way to be honest. It's like saying this is who I am, I'm human, I do stuff, if you can't accept me for that, all the more better for me.....

    I'll tweet you an image I found that is my genreal philosophy.

    Keep creating, keep being.

    Peace,

    Wade

    ReplyDelete